This is Part-01 of the NSX-T 2.1 Complete Video and Blog post series. In this post, Introduction to VMware NSX-T and Product features, I will discuss what is VMware NSX-T and what are the capabilities or features of the VMware NSX-T product.
What is VMware NSX-T?
VMware NSX-T is a multi-hypervisor network virtualization and security platform which provides the networking and security services to the virtual machines running on ESXi/KVM hypervisors, containers, AWS instances, etc, a feature-rich product from VMware.
VMware has released VMware NSX-T 1.0, 1.1, 2.0 and 2.1, where VMware NSX-T 2.1 being the latest release version available.
NSX-T 2.1 Part 01: Introduction and NSX-T features and Capabilities
In this video, I have explained what is VMware NSX-T and what are the capabilities of VMware NSX-T product.
VMware NSX-T features:
- Multi-hypervisor support: Supports ESXi/KVM
- Decoupled from the vCenter: Separate GUI to manage the NSX-T manager and no longer depends on the vCenter Server.
- Any Compute: Virtual Machines, Containers, OpenStack instances, AWS instances, Kubernetes, PKS, PAS
- Single node NSX Management cluster
- Three node Control Plane Cluster
- Fabric Node preparation from NSX Manager, a node installed with all the NSX-T modules is called a fabric node
- Geneve encapsulation is used to encapsulate the packets leaving the hypervisor
- nsx-vswitch implements the host switch on the ESXi, where the KVM hosts leverages the OVS.
- Logical switches are Opaque Networks in vCenter Server
- Distributed Routing: Tier 0 Logical Router, Tier 1 Logical Router, 4-byte ASN, ECMP, NAT on Tier 1 and Tier 0 Logical Routers, Route Maps, Null Routes, Loopback interface, eBGP
- Logical Routers (T0 & T1) have Distributed Router and Service Router components.
- NSX Edges are empty containers and will host the Distributed and Service Router Components.
- No Dynamic Routing protocols needed between Tier 1 and Tier 0 Logical Router
- Distributed Firewall & Edge firewall
- Configure the T0 Logical router in High availability mode for redundancy and high availability (Active/Active or Active/Standby)
- Configure the T1 Logical Router in High availability mode (Active/Standby)
- DDI: DHCP, DNS, and IP Management: Configure the DHCP Server, DHCP Relay Server and IP Address management, Metadata Proxy
- OpenStack support
- Duplicate IP Detection
- REST API calls to NSX Manager to create/collect the information about NSX Components
- Performance: Intel DPDK is leveraged to improve the performance of the NSX Edge node for the fast packet processing
- Operations: IPFIX, Port Connectivity, NETFLOW, Tech support bundle, NSXCLI command line, Port mirroring through switching profile, TRACEFLOW, Upgrade Coordinator, Log insight content pack, and many more
VMware NSX-T 2.1 Part 02: NSX-T Architecture:
Share, Like, Comment and Subscribe to my youtube channel if you feel really worth sharing. Be Sociable, and share.