NSX-T installation comprises all of the following steps:
- Deploying the NSX-T Manager
- Deploying the NSX-T Controllers and configuring the Controller Cluster
- Installing NSX-T software and preparing the ESX and KVM hosts as fabric node
- Configuring ESX and KVM hosts as the Transport node
- Installing and configuring NSX-T Edge nodes
So here in this blog post, we will look at how to deploy the NSX-T manager on the ESXi host. We will see what are the prerequisites for deploying the NSX-T manager on the ESXi host and how to configure the NSX-T Manager.
Before we divide in to the installation, lets see what are the prerequisites for installing the NSX-T Manager:
- Make sure that you have the supported hypervisor compatibile with NSX-T 2.1
- Ports opened for the NSX-T Manager communication
- VM portgroup for the NSX-T Manager for the management connectivity
- IP Addresses for the NSX-T Manager deployment
Please refer to the NSX-T installation guide here:
Supported Hypervisor versions:
Following are the list of hypervisor versions supported to run the NSX-T 2.1 Infrastructure:
|vSphere||6.5 GA and 6.5 U1||4||16 GB|
|RHEL KVM||7.3||4||16 GB|
|Ubuntu KVM||16.04.x||4||16 GB|
Download NSX-T 2.1 Datacenter software:
Deploying NSX-T Manager Step by Step:
- Right Click on the cluster and Click Deploy OVF Template
- Click on Local file radial button to Browse and locate the OVA file
The nsx-unified-appliance ova file is chosen to deploy the NSX-T manager role. The same “nsx-unified-appliance” OVA template can also be used to deploy the NSX-Policy Manager role. The NSX-Manager OVA file no longer available from VMware downloads portal. To deploy the nsx-manager role, download nsx-unified-appliance OVA file if you plan to install it on the ESX host, else download the qcow2 to deploy it on the KVM host.
- Select the OVA file and click on Open
- On the Select name and location, enter the name for the NSX-T Manager and select the datacenter and then click Next
- On the Select a resource page, select a host or cluster or resource pool or vApp and then click Next
- On the Review details page validate the OVF page configuration and then click Next
On the Select configuration, you have three options to choose the NSX-T Manager configuration. The following table lists the NSX-T Manager configuration with the Memory and CPU requirements.
|NSX Manager Configuration||Memory (GB)||vCPU Count|
- Select the configuration and then click Next
- On the Select storage wizard, select the virtual disk formats, select the datastore and then click Next
- On the Select networks wizard, select the network for the NSX-T Manager virtual machine and then click Next. This will be the management network for the NSX-T Manager.
- On the Customize template wizard, set the password and confirm the password for the admin user accout If you want to change the username for the admin you can change it on this page, but the default admin username will be admin
- On the Customize template wizard, set the password and confirm the password for the audit user accout If you want to change the username for the audit, you can change it on this page, but the default admin username will be admin.
- On the Customize template wizard, set the password and confirm the password for the root user accout.
- Click DNS to expand and enter the DNS Server list and Domain Search list details and then click to expand the Network properties
- Enter the following details and then click on the Role drop down menu to select the role.
- Default IPv4 gateway:
- Management Network IPV4 address:
- Management Network Netmask:
- Select Rolename: nsx-manager or nsx-policy-manager
- Click on Services Configuration to expand
- Click on Allow root SSH Logins checkbox, to enable root user to login to NSX manager via SSH
- Click on Enable SSH checkbox, to enable the SSH Service
- Enter the NTP Server List text box to enter the NTP Server details and then click Next
- Review the details on the Ready to Complete page and then click on Finish to deploy the NSX-T Manager virtual Machine.
- Monitor the progress of the NSX-T Manager VM deployment in the vCenter Recent Tasks.
Thats about deploying the NSX-T manager on the ESXi server.
VIDEOS ON NSX-T 2.x:
NSX-T 2.1 Complete video series:
VMware NSX-T 2.1 Part 01: Introduction to NSX-T
NSX-T 2.1: Part-02 NSX-T Architecture