In this blog post, I will show you how to register the NSX-T edge with the NSX-T Manager from the nsxcli command line. In my previous post, we have seen how to deploy the NSX-T Edge on the ESXi host with the OVF Template. If you have missed my previous, links here in the Related posts section.
- NSX-T 2.1 Complete video series:
- NSX-T 2.1 Part 01: Introduction to NSX-T
- NSX-T 2.1: Part-02 NSX-T Architecture
- NSX-T 2.1: Part-03 Deploying NSX-T Manager Virtual Machine on ESXi host
- NSX-T 2.1: Part-04 Configuring NSX-T Control cluster
- NSX-T 2.1: Part 05 Deploying NSX-T Edge node on ESXi
Once the NSX-T Edges are deployed, connect to the NSX-T edge node via Putty.exe and login with the admin credentials.
From the cli, run the following command to register the edge with the NSX Manager.
- Register NSX-T Edge with NSX Manager:
join management-plane <nsx-manager-ip> username admin password <admin-password> thumbprint <nsx-manager-thumbprint>
- NSX-Manager Thumbprint for NSX-T Edge registration:
<nsxmgr-01a> get certificate api thumbprint
NSX-T Edge Registration Example:
<edge-01a>join management-plane 192.168.110.201 username admin password VMware1! thumbprint ba3b758c2cca2ff78601d150e40219b3143390f6eb857fea3f656a9b5aac5985
Once the NSX-T Edge is registered with the NSX Manager you can find the NSX-T Edge node in the NSX Manager GUI.
- Login to the NSX Manager with the admin credentials.
- Click Fabric
- Click Nodes and then click on Edges tab
From the Edges tab, you can see that the edge-01a is registered with the NSX Manager. You will find the following details of the NSX edge node.
- Edge Name: Name of the edge node edge-01a
- Edge ID: UUID of the edge
- Deployment Type: Physical or Virtual
- Management IP: NSX Manager IP
- Host: Host information
- Deployment Status: Node Ready
- Controller Connectivity: [Not available-if the edge is not yet configured as Transport Node]
- Manager Connectivity: Up
- Transport Node: Transport Node status, not configured if the node is not yet configured as a transport node
- Edge Cluster: Edge cluster name
- Logical Routers: Logical Routers configured on the Edge node
These are the steps to register the NSX edge node with the NSX manager deployed in a VM form factor on the ESXi. These same steps will be used to register the NSX Edge node deployed on the bare-metal servers as well.
It is also possible to configure the NSX-Edge node from the NSX Manager in a vSphere environment, if the vCenter Server is registered as a compute manager. I will cover this in my next blog post. Thank you..