Upgrade Coordinator in NSX-T
Upgrade Coordinator is a service that runs on the NSX Manager node, which facilitates the upgrade of the NSX-T infrastructure. Upgrade Coordinator first introduced in NSX-T 1.1 and was later added to support NSX for vSphere upgrades in NSXv 6.4. The Upgrade coordinator is a self-contained Web application that orchestrates the upgrade process of hosts, NSX Edge cluster, NSX Controller cluster, and Management plane.
Upgrade Coordinator Benefits:
- Facilitates the upgrade of the NSX-T infrastructure
- Provides the ability to plan and execute the hosts upgrade, you can select number of hosts in a vSphere cluster if vCenter is added as a Compute Manager
- It works with DRS to migrate the VMs and put the ESXi hosts into maintenance mode
- Helps you to minimize the downtime in upgrading the NSX-T environment
- The upgrade coordinator guides you through the proper upgrade sequence.
- You can track the upgrade process in real time and if required you can pause and resume the upgrade process from the user interface.
- Automatically roll back the Controller and Management clusters if the upgrade is failed.
NSX-T Upgrade Checklist:
- Review the release notes before the upgrade.
- Evaluate the operational impact of the upgrade.
- Verify that all the NSX-T Components are in healthy state (Manager, Controller, ESXi/KVM Transport Nodes and NSX Edge Nodes).
- Download the latest NSX-T upgrade bundle.
- Upload upgrade bundle to NSX Manager.
- Configure the upgrade-coordinator service.
- Upgrade ESXi/KVM hosts.
- Upgrade NSX Edge clusters.
- Upgrade NSX Controller cluster.
- Upgrade Management cluster.
- Perform post-upgrade tasks.
- Troubleshoot upgrade errors.
- NSX-T 2.1 Complete video series:
- Introduction to NSX-T
- NSX-T Architecture
- Deploy NSX-T Manager Virtual Machine on ESXi host
- Configure NSX-T Control cluster
- Prepare ESXi host as fabric node in NSX-T
- Prepare KVM hosts as fabric Node in NSX-T
- How to add vCenter Server as Compute Manager?
- What is N-VDS or hostSwitch in NSX-T?
- How to create Transport Zones in NSX-T?
- What is Uplink Profile and how to Create in NSX-T?
- Create an IP pools for TEP in NSX-T
- Verify hostswitch configuration on ESXi and KVM
- How to create Logical Switches in NSX-T?
- NSX-T Logical Routing